- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for Warts
Warts Are a Common Condition Caused by a Virus
Warts are small, usually painless growths on the skin caused by a virus. There are several different types of warts. Common warts usually appear on the hands, but may be on any external part of the body. Plantar warts appear on the soles of the feet. Periungual and subungal warts are found under or around toenails or fingernails. Flat warts, common in children, are usually found on the face.
It is important to consult with your medical practitioner if there are signs of infection (red streaking, pus, discharge, or fever) or bleeding -- especially if bleeding is significant or not easily stopped by light pressure.
Prescription Medications May Be Required, but Not Available Commercially
Prescription medications may be required to remove certain warts. We compound several formulas used by clinicians to treat these conditions. Some of the ingredients we use are:
- Salicylic Acid is a phenolic phytohormone derived from the bark of the willow tree. In treating warts, this organic acid causes the cells of the skin to shed more readily, opening clogged pores and neutralizing bacteria.
- Squaric Acid Most doctors who use immunotherapy choose squaric acid for wart removal. The concentration depends on the size of the warts and on the region of body affected When it is applied on the affected area, the immune system is activated and the wart vanishes.
- Podophyllin resin and podofilox lotion or gel remove genital warts by stopping cell growth.
- Cantharidin -- secreted by many species of the blister beetle – Cantharidin is a type of terpenoid -- a class of naturally-occurring organic chemicals, and is used in topical medications to treat warts.
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Compounding
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Services
- Hospice/Oncology Compounding
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Services
- Podiatry Compounding
- Special Medication Compounding
- Veterinary Solutions
"The staff gives personal and knowledgeable pharmaceutical advice efficiently and reasonably. You won't find this kind of service just anywhere! We love Myers Medical Pharmacy!"