- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for Nausea And Vomiting
Treating Nausea and Vomiting Means Treating the Cause
Nausea with or without vomiting is a miserable feeling. Often treatment of this disorder means fixing the cause. Some of the common causes are infections, reactions to medications, motion sickness, vertigo, brain injuries, fatigue, alcohol intoxication, anxiety or stress, pregnancy, and food poisoning.
The causes of vomiting differ according to age. For children, it is common for vomiting to occur from a viral infection, food poisoning, milk allergy, overeating or feeding, coughing, or blocked intestines and illnesses in which the child has a high fever. The timing of the nausea or vomiting can indicate the cause. When appearing shortly after a meal, nausea or vomiting may be caused by food poisoning, gastritis, an ulcer, or bulimia.
Dehydration Is a Special Problem Among Children
Adults have a lower risk of becoming dehydrated because they can usually detect the symptoms of dehydration (increased thirst and dry lips or mouth). But children have a greater risk of becoming dehydrated, especially if they also have diarrhea. Adults caring for sick children need to be aware of these visible signs of dehydration: dry lips and mouth, sunken eyes, and rapid breathing or pulse. In infants, watch for decreased urination and a sunken fontanelle (soft spot on top of the baby's head).
Vomiting Can Also Be a Sign of a More Serious Illness
Medications may be required to alleviate nausea and vomiting either for short term use or over a prolonged period of time. There are multiple commercially available medications, but sometimes other options are required.
MYERS Medical Provides Alternatives to Oral Medications
The ingredients we use include:
- Prochlorperazine and Promethazine are anti-emetics, which block serotonin receptors in the central nervous system and gastrointestinal tract They are available commercially in tablet and suppository forms, or by injection.
- Ondansestron is also an anti-emetic medication. It reduces the activity of the vagus nerve, which activates the vomiting center in the brain. It is commercially available as an oral tablet or by injection
- Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine drug with sedative and anti-convulsant properties, that is also used as an antiemetic
- Ginger Root is a natural herb known for its anti-emetic properties. It is known to treat motion sickness. It relaxes the stomach, prevents indigestion and abdominal cramping as well.
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Compounding
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Services
- Hospice/Oncology Compounding
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Services
- Podiatry Compounding
- Special Medication Compounding
- Veterinary Solutions
"The staff gives personal and knowledgeable pharmaceutical advice efficiently and reasonably. You won't find this kind of service just anywhere! We love Myers Medical Pharmacy!"