- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for Muscle Spasm
Muscle Spasms May Have Many Causes
A muscle spasm or cramp is a sudden, involuntary contraction of a muscle. It can last for a few seconds, to several minutes or hours. Every muscle in your body is susceptible to muscle spasm, including your feet. There are a variety of causes of muscle spasms, and each cause depends on certain predisposing factors and the area involved.
Most Muscle Spasms Are From Overexertion or Overuse
Spasms can occur when a muscle is overused and tired, especially if it is overstretched or held in the same position for a long time. The muscle runs out of energy and fluid, and develops a forceful contraction.
Dehydration and Low Electrolytes Can Also Cause Muscle Spasms
Muscle requires enough water, glucose, sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium to allow the proteins within the cells to interact and develop an organized contraction. An abnormal supply of these elements can cause the muscle to go into spasm.
Diseases Can Cause Muscle Spasms, Too
Muscle spasms are a common symptom with diabetes, abnormally low red blood cell count, kidney disease, and hormone conditions. Nervous system disorders like multiple sclerosis or a spinal cord injury can cause muscle spasms to occur as well. Atherosclerosis or narrowing of the arteries may also lead to muscle spasm due to inadequate blood supply where proper nutrients are not delivered to the muscle. Leg spasms (also known as a charlie horse) are often related to exercise. But cramps may also occur at night involving calf and toe muscles.
Compounding Offers Alternatives
Here is another area where custom compounded medications can combine ingredients in topical form, not found in commercially available products. They include:
- Guaifenesen is related to metrobammate, carisorodol, mephenesin and methocarbamol. It is believed that it acts by interrupting the polysynaptic reflex arc in the spinal cord and in the brain stem. While most commonly known for its use as an expectorant, has been shown to have muscle relaxation qualities.
- Ketoprofen is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). it works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body, and is often used to treat pain or inflammation caused by arthritis.
- Cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain. It is the most well-studied drug for this application and it also has been used for treating fibromyalgia.
- Magnesium Chloride is an inorganic salt. It has clearly demonstrated versatility as a healing mineral for m migraines and pain management, depression, anxiety, sleeplessness and memory. When applied to external wounds it has shown favorable effects, making it ideal for wound cleansing. When taken orally, it was a powerful immuno-stimulant, exhibiting a broad tonic effect from its immune bolstering capabilities.
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Compounding
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Services
- Hospice/Oncology Compounding
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Services
- Podiatry Compounding
- Special Medication Compounding
- Veterinary Solutions
"The staff gives personal and knowledgeable pharmaceutical advice efficiently and reasonably. You won't find this kind of service just anywhere! We love Myers Medical Pharmacy!"