- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for Anal Fissure Treatments
Anal Fissures Are Common in Infants and Adults
Anal fissures are tears in the thin moist tissue (mucosa) lining the lower rectum (anus) usually due to increased tone of the anal sphincter muscles, and a failure of these muscle to relax.
Anal fissures cause painful bowel movements and bleeding. Most anal fissures can be treated successfully with conservative measures, which include stool softeners and warm soaks. The goal is to relax the anal sphincter, which allows the fissure to heal. Anal fissures are extremely common in young infants but may occur at any age. Studies suggest 80% of infants will have had an anal fissure by the end of the first year. The rate of anal fissures decreases rapidly with age. Fissures are much less common among school-aged children than infants. In adults, fissures may be caused by constipation, the passing of large, hard stools, or by prolonged diarrhea. In older adults, anal fissures may be caused by decreased blood flow to the area. Anal fissures are also common in women after childbirth and persons with Crohn's disease.
Anal fissures generally heal quickly without further problems. However, people who develop fissures are more likely to have them in the future. Occasionally, a fissure becomes chronic and will not heal, and may require minor surgery to relax the sphincter. Call your health care provider if you suffer from repeated anal fissure symptoms, or if a fissure does not heal appropriately with treatment.
Compounding Can Help to Treat and to Heal
To treat the pain and inflammation associated with anal fissures, and to promote healing, MYERS Compounding Pharmacists can prepare a variety of ointments, using the following ingredients:
- Nifedipine is a calcium channel blocker that helps reduce anal sphincter spasms and also works to increase blood flow to the affected area thus encouraging healing.
- Lidocaine & Tetracaine are local anesthetics and are used to numb the painful areas.
- Hydrocortisone is a steroid, which is used to reduce inflammation that may be causing pain.
- Diltiazem is in a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers. It works by relaxing the muscles of your heart and blood vessels.
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Compounding
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Services
- Hospice/Oncology Compounding
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Services
- Podiatry Compounding
- Special Medication Compounding
- Veterinary Solutions
"The staff gives personal and knowledgeable pharmaceutical advice efficiently and reasonably. You won't find this kind of service just anywhere! We love Myers Medical Pharmacy!"