- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for Diaper Rash
Rash -- Irritation -- Even Infection
Infant diaper dermatitis (diaper rash) develops when skin is exposed to prolonged wetness, decreased skin pH caused by urine or feces, and resulting breakdown of the outermost layer of the skin. Ammonia and bile salts in the urine increase irritation.
The outer skin layer (stratum corneum) forms a waterproof barrier that protects the deeper layers from bacteria, yeast, and injury. When damaged, the result can be a skin rash and secondary bacterial or candida (yeast) infection.
Barrier Ointments Help Prevent, Treat and Protect
MYERS Medical Compounding Pharmacists can prepare barrier ointments which may help to prevent the rashes and protect the damaged areas, and antibiotic and antifungal ointments that can help treat secondary infections.
We commonly use these Ingredients in our compounds:
- Nystatin: Most commonly used for secondary candida infections, Nystatin is an antifungal antibiotic which is both fungistatic and fungicidal in vitro against a wide variety of yeasts and yeast-like fungi. It is a polyene antibiotic, and is the first well tolerated antifungal antibiotic of dependable efficacy for the treatment of cutaneous infections caused by Candida Monilia]albicans and other Candida species. Due to its toxicity profile, there are currently no injectible formulations of this drug on the US market. However, nystatin may be safely given orally as well as applied topically due to its minimal absorption through mucocutaneous membranes such as the gut and the skin Symptomatic relief is rapid, often occurring within 24 to 72 hours after the initiation of treatment.
- Cholestyramine adsorbs and combines with bile acids, resulting in partial removal of bile acids that cause skin irritation.
- Zinc Oxide is a barrier commonly used in diaper barrier ointments. It protects the skin from further irritation and helps it heal.
- Benzoin Compound tincture is a non-water-soluble natural product used in compounding skin protectants.
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Compounding
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Services
- Hospice/Oncology Compounding
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Services
- Podiatry Compounding
- Special Medication Compounding
- Veterinary Solutions
"The staff gives personal and knowledgeable pharmaceutical advice efficiently and reasonably. You won't find this kind of service just anywhere! We love Myers Medical Pharmacy!"