- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for Pruritus
When You Have an Itch You Can't Scratch
Pruritus (itching).. is a tingling or irritation of the skin that makes you want to scratch the affected area. The itching can be over the whole body (generalized) or affect just one area (localized). Pruritus can cause discomfort and be frustrating. If it is severe, it can lead to sleeplessness, anxiety, and depression.
The exact cause is unknown. It is complex process, where nerves that respond to certain chemicals like histamine that are released in the skin, and the processing of the nerve signals in the brain. Pruritus can be a part of skin diseases, internal disorders, or due to faulty processing of the itch sensation within the nervous system
The first step in treating itching is to try to determine the cause
Most itching problems can be dealt with at home without seeking medical attention. For serious or persistent cases, your doctor might prescribe a medication available over-the counter (without a prescription) or a prescription-only product.
MYERS Medical Can Compound Many Topical Prescription Medications Customized to Each Patient’s Individual Needs
We commonly use the following Ingredients:
- Doxepin is a psychotropic agent with tricyclic antidepressant and anxiolytic properties. It is the active ingredient in some cream-based preparations for the treatment of dermatological itch, and when taken orally can be an anti-anxiety agent with anti-histamine qualities.
- Pramoxine is in a class of medications called topical local anesthetics. It works by stopping nerves from sending pain signals.
- Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used for treating allergic reactions. Histamine is released by the body during several types of allergic reactions. When histamine binds to its receptors on cells, it stimulates changes within the cells that lead to itching and sneezing. It is commonly available in oral and topical forms
- Menthol is an organic compound made synthetically or obtained from peppermint or other mint oils. It has local anesthetic and counterirritant qualities, and is used in many over the counter topical products
- Camphor is obtained naturally from the wood or leaves of the camphor laurel tree. It is typically combined with menthol in anti-itching agents
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Treatments
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Treatments
- Hospice/Oncology Treatments
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Treatments
- Podiatry Treatments
- Special Medications
- Veterinary Treatments