- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for TMJ
Multiple Causes – One Symptom – Pain
"TMJ" stands for Temporo-Mandibular Joint, or the jaw joint. You have two TMJs, one in front of each ear, connecting the lower jaw bone (mandible) to the skull. The joints allow movement up and down, side to side, and forward and back — the mobility necessary for biting, chewing and swallowing food, for speaking and for making facial expressions.
Temporo-Mandibular Joint and Muscle disorders, are a collection of poorly understood conditions characterized by pain in the jaw and surrounding tissues and limitations in jaw movements. Injury and conditions that routinely affect other joints in the body, such as arthritis, also affect the Temporo-Mandibular joint. People diagnosed with TMJ may be experiencing other symptoms and medical conditions as part of a broad multi-systems illnesses that go unrecognized. TMJ pain is often described as a dull ache in the jaw joint and nearby areas, including the ear, which comes and goes.
MYERS Medical Offers Topical Creams That Can Be Applied Right Where it Hurts
We can compound a variety of treatments, using the following ingredients:
- Ketoprofen is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). it works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body, and is often used to treat pain or inflammation caused by arthritis.
- Cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain. It is the most well-studied drug for this application and it also has been used for treating fibromyalgia.
- Baclofen is a muscle relaxer and an antispastic agent. It is used to treat spasms, pain, and stiffness.
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Treatments
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Treatments
- Hospice/Oncology Treatments
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Treatments
- Podiatry Treatments
- Special Medications
- Veterinary Treatments