- (707) 468-8991
- 260 Hospital Drive Suite 111 Ukiah CA 95482
Treatment for Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathy Refers to Any Disease or Injury Affecting Nerves or Nerve Cells
Peripheral neuropathy involves any condition affecting peripheral nerves Cranial neuropathy involves any condition affecting cranial nerves Optic neuropathy involves any condition affecting the optic nerve (including Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy) Auditory neuropathy involves any condition affecting the auditory nerve
MYERS Medical Pharmacy’s Specially-compounded, topically-applied, Transdermal Creams May Be of Help
To help treat neuropathic pain, caused by neuropathy or by damage elsewhere in the nervous system, we can prepare treatments using any of the following ingredients alone, or in combinations:
- Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures and some types of pain. It is used alone or in combination with other medications. It is commonly used orally for neuropathy.
- Ketamine is an anesthetic medication. It acts at the NMDA receptor site for use in treating neuropathy.
- Amitriptyline is in a group of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced. While most noted for its use to treat depression, it is prescribed for many pain and pain-related conditions such as migraines, chronic pain, persistent pain following a shingles attack, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, diabetic peripheral neuropathy and neurological pain.
- Clonidine Though prescribed historically to treat high blood pressure it is now used in the treatment of some types of neuropathic pain. It works by stimulating receptors in the brain stem, reducing outflow from the central nervous system.
- Baclofen is a muscle relaxer and an antispastic agent. It is used to treat spasms, pain, and stiffness.
- Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (numbing) medication. It works by blocking nerve signals in your body. It is applied topically to numb the skin, or lessen pain.
- Cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain. It is the most well-studied drug for this application and it also has been used for treating fibromyalgia.
If you have a question about this condition or any of the medications available to treat it, please feel free to use the "Email Us" button at the top of the page, or call us.
- Dental Treatments
- Dermatology Treatments
- Hormones & Endocrinology Treatments
- Hospice/Oncology Treatments
- Pain Treatments
- Pediatrics Treatments
- Podiatry Treatments
- Special Medications
- Veterinary Treatments